Basketweave Stitch Instructions
- You will want to start in the upper right hand corner of your stitching area and work outwards from there.
- Tie a knot at the end of your thread and place it 1-2" from where you begin stitching. When you stitch up to the knot, snip it off as you will have locked your thread in place.
- Look closely at your canvas and identify the "poles" and "steps" in the weave of the canvas.
- In Basketweave, you will want to "slide down the poles and step up the steps". In other words, work down in a diagonal line on the "pole" intersections of the canvas, and work up a diagonal line on the "step" intersections of the canvas.
- When you hit the edge of your colour section, continue to maintain the diagonal placement of stitches. This may mean dragging your thread across a few other stitches. Only drag your thread if the distance is less than 1". Otherwise, secure the thread and start a new thread in the remote colour area.
- To start a new thread, slide your needle through the back of the area you have already stitched.